Almost all building and demolition work require a Development Application (DA) to be lodged with your local council. There are some building works that maybe exempt which will allow the project to be assessed under exempt development or complying development (see CDC Complying Development).

Examples of types of developments that require a Development Application (DA) to be lodged with your local council include:

  • Construction of a new dwelling where the maximum allowable height has been exceeded.
  • All works to heritage listed buildings or within a heritage listed conservation area.
  • Subdivision of land.
  • Strata Subdivisions.
  • Where excavation works are necessary.
  • Change of a buildings use from its original purpose (e.g. home to office).
  • Addition of any doors or windows to the facades of a building.
  • Developments such as Townhouses, Villas, Appartment blocks, Factory Units or Commercial Office Space.

When compiling a Development Application (DA) most local councils require the following documents:

  • Site Plan
  • Site Analysis Plan
  • Topographical Plan (land survey)
  • Floor Plans
  • Elevations (north, south, east & west)
  • Cross Sections & longitudinal Sections
  • Shadow Diagrams
  • Waste Management Plan
  • Statement of Environmental Effects (SEE)

For more complex developments some councils require additional third party documents which we can obtain on your behalf. These additional documents include:

  • Landscape Plan
  • Traffic Management Reports
  • Acoustic Reports
  • Bush Fire Reports
  • Geo-Technical Report
  • Structural Engineering Plans
  • Stormwater Plan

When we have compiled all documents required for your local council we then lodge the application for assessment. This assessment process is lengthy and varies from council to council depending on their work load and the complexity of the development.

Once the council has assessed the Development Application and is satisfied that all local and state regulations have been met, they will then issue a Development Consent for the project. This will have general conditions that must be adhered to throughout the construction period. We then proceed to arrange the plans and documents required to attain a Construction Certificate (see CC Construction Certificate).